AEK vs PAOK: Facts & Figures
Just a few hours ahead of the kick-off of PAOK’s Greek Cup semi-final first leg match against AEK, paokfc.gr puts you in the picture about the background to the game, as well as a look back at our previous encounters against the Kitrinomavri in the competition.
- The last three meetings between PAOK and AEK in the Greek Cup were finals, with the Double-headed Eagle bringing home the trophy on all three ocassions in 2017, 2018 and 2019.
- The last time the two teams met before the final was in the 2011-12 season in a one-legged ties in the Round of 16, with PAOK progressing thanks to a 2-0 win at the Toumba (33’ Lino, 54’ Athanasiadis).
- In the 2010-11 season they met in the semi-finals, with PAOK earning a 0-0 draw in the first leg at the ΟΑΚΑ, despite ending the game with nine man following the dismissals of Lino (74’) and Ivic (75’). In the return leg AEK won 1-0 thanks to a goal from Dellas (48’) and progressed to the final.
- In the 2002-03 campaign, the two teams met once again in the semi-finals, with PAOK winning 1-0 at the Nikos Goumas Stadium thanks to Yiasoumis’ (40’) goal, laying the foundations for qualification to the final which came after the two teams drew 1-1 (88’ Okkas – 8’ Maladenis) in Thessaloniki. The Double-headed Eagle went on to lift the Greek Cup trophy with victory over Aris in the final.
- ΑΕΚ’s last win over PAOK has the home side in a Greek Cup match was in 2002, when they won a quarter-final encounter 2-1 (36’ Tsartas, 61’ Maladenis – 49’ Frousos). In the second leg at the Toumba, PAOK suffered one of its heaviest defeats against ΑΕΚ with the finale scoreline 4-0 (28’ Tsartas, 39’ Lakis, 47’ Nikolaidis, 89’ Ivic), prompted by the sending off of Kopulakiotis in the 27th minute.
- In 1991-92 the two clubs were paired again in the semi-final stage if the competition and it was PAOK tjhat progressed despite losing 2-0 in Athens, since a 3-0 win in the second leg at the Toumba saw PAOK through to face Olympiacos in the only two-legged final in the history of the competition.
- 5 – the number of times the two teams have faced each other in the semi-finals of the competition, while they have also met 5 times in the aurter-finals. They have also faced each other four times in the Round of 16, and only once have they met in the second round of the competition.
- Of those 15 times that they have met before the final, PAOK have a dominant record, as they have progressed 9 times while the Athens club won 6 of those ties. Indeed, if you also count the fact that AEK claimed the first 4 qualifications, then PAOK have won 9 out of the last 11 ties between the two clubs. In total, there have been 22 matches in those battles, and PAOK have recorded 10 wins, 5 draws, and 7 defeats.