PAOK vs. Slovan Bratislava: Facts & Figures
Ahead of PAOK’s UEFA Europa Conference League Matchday 2 clash against Slovan Bratislava, paokfc.gr puts you in the picture about the background to the match.
- This is the second time that PAOK face Slovan Bratislava. The previous occasion was in the summer of 2019 in the Europa League Play Offs, when the Double-headed Eagle was eliminated despite a 3-2 victory at the Toumba (48′ Limnios, 50′ Swiderski , 87′ Giannoulis – 38′ Medvedev, 62′ De Marco). In the first leg match, PAOK were defeated 1-0 with the goal scored by Abena in added time.
- This is PAOK’s sixth match this year in European competitions, with the route to the group stage of the Conference League starting on August 3, 2021 in Ireland. A 2-1 defeat there is the only loss that the that Double-headed Eagle have recorded this season. That defeat was followed by three victories, all with a 2-0 scoreline, and a 1-1 draw in Thessaloniki with Rijeka.
- PAOK have faced teams from Slovakia three times and has chalked up two qualifications and one elimination. However, so far, all of them were for qualifying rounds until now. The tie with Slovan Bratislava is the first in the group stage of any European competition.
- In the six matches against teams from Slovakia so far, PAOK have recorded four wins, one draw and one defeat. PAOK have faced Spartak Trnava twice and they are facing Slovan Bratislava for the second time.
- The first match against Spartak Trnava was on August 12, 1997 when it the competition was still known as the UEFA Cup, and it ended in a 5-3 win (32′ Zagorakis, 36′ Maragos, 45′ Maragos, 53′ Fratzeskos, 80′ Olivares – 22′ Uilaki, 24 Lukhovi, 27′ Wilaki). In the second leg PAOK also prevailed 1-0 in Slovakia with a goal from Zagorakis (80′).
- On July 30, 2015 in the first qualifying round of the Europa League, PAOK prevailed 1-0 (82′ Lucas) and in hte second leg drew 1-1 (35′ Sambo – 48′ Konstantinidis ).