Aris vs. PAOK: Facts & Figures
Ahead of PAOK’s Super League Interwetten Play Offs Matchday 1 clash with Aris, paokfc.gr puts you in the picture about the background to the match, as well as a look back at our previous encounters against the Kitrinomavri.
- This is the fifth season the two teams will meet in the Play Offs. Aris have participated just five times in previous years in this process after the end of the regular season. PAOK have 12 participations out of the 13.
- The first time was in the 2007-08 season during which PAOK did not participate, while both teams qualified in 2009-10 with the Dikefalos tou Vorra winning 2-0 at the Toumba and Aris winning 3-2 at their home ground on May 19 2010 in a match which was the final game of the season with PAOK having already claimed first place.
- This is the fourth straight season they have faced each other. In 2019-20, in the first match which was again with Aris away, PAOK prevailed 2-0 (36′ Varela, 44′ Swinderski), while the Toumba encounter ended in a goalless draw.
- In 2020-21, PAOK recorded two victories, 1-0 as a visitor thanks to Schwab’s goal (8′) and 2-0 at the Toumba with Schwab (69′) and A. Zivkovic (90′) scoring.
- In 2021-22, Aris prevailed in both Play Offs matches with a 1-0 scoreline, at home in the first match and again at the Toumba in the second round.
- PAOK broke a negative streak of results that had been created in five consecutive games against Aris – in regular season meetings – with a victory at the Toumba. On January 4, 2023, they prevailed 1-0 (45′ Ingason) in the league championship. In fact, in this series of five games, PAOK had not managed to score, with the last goal coming in the victory on April 21, 2021 in the Play Offs with Schwab’s goal.
- In the history between the two teams in the Greek toip flight from 1959-60 until today, a total of 62 matches have been played between the two clubs with Aris as the home team (22 Aris wins – 25 draws – 15 PAOK wins).
- 15 – the number of times that matches between the two clubs have ended in a 0-0 draw with Aris as the home side, which is the most popular result. Next, the most common scorelines are 1-1 and 1-0 to Aris, both of which have appeared on six occasions. PAOK has recorded five wins with a 2-1 scoreline and four via a 1-0 result, while the biggest winning margin is the 4-0 win which took place on December 7 1994.
- The first match in the old Alpha Ethnikis division took place on November 1959 with Aris the home side and PAOK came away winners by a 1-0 scoreline thanks to a Giorgos Havanidis free-kick after 20 minutes. The Dikefalos tou Vorra remained unbeaten in its first six visits to Aris (2 wins – 4 draws), while in total both home and away PAOK started the season with an 11-match unbeaten run (5 wins – 6 draws).
- Aris’ Alexiadis is the top scorer in games between the two sides with 6 goals, while for PAOK both Koudas and Skartados have 5 each. Vasiliaids has scored 4. For Aris, Papaioannou, Siropoulos, and Dimitriadis also all have 4 goals to their name.
- Since the return of Aris to the top flight in 2018-19, 16 matches have been played between the two clubs, with PAOK having five wins, Aris five and six games have ended in a draw.