PAOK vs. PAS Giannina: Facts & Figures
Ahead of PAOK’s opening match of the 2021-22 Super League Interwetten against PAS Giannina, paokfc.gr puts you in the picture about the background to the match, as well as a look back at our previous encounters against the Epirus club.
- PAOK kicks off a season in the Greek top flight for the 64th time. Together with Olympiakos and Panathinaikos, they are one of only three teams that have participated in each and every season since the establishment of the top division in 1959.
- In the premiere of the 1959-60 championship, on October 25, 1959, PAOK faced Megas Alexandros Katerinis at the Toumba. Leandros Symeonidis scored the first goal for the Double-headed Eagle in the 32nd minute, while Kiourtzis (34′) and Kouiroukidis (47′) added to it to make it 3-0. Karafoulidis (27′) and Touloumtzidis (75′) pulled two goals back for the team from Katerini.
- Since then, PAOK has played 2,035 league games and its record is 1,003 wins, 520 draws and 512 defeats, while the goals count is 3,117-1,977.
- PAS Giannina will be PAOK’s opponent in a league premiere for the second time in history, with the first being on September 6, 1981. At that time, PAS were the host side and the match ended in a 0-0 draw.
- A total of 52 matches have been played in the Greek top flight between the two teams, with PAOK having 29 victories, PAS 12 and 11 games ending in a draw.
- As the home team, PAOK has 18 victories against Giannina, four games have ended in a draw, and the Epirus club have won four times away from home against PAOK.
- In the last seven matches between the two sides, regardless of venue, PAOK has the equal number of victories, with four being away and three in the Toumba.
- On January 8, 2017, PAS Giannina prevailed 1-0 at the Toumba with a goal by Tzimopoulos in the 16th minute. Since then, the Double-headed Eagle has recorded seven wins, and in four games has not conceded a single goal.
- Neto Guerino, Klaus Athanasiadis and Alexandra Prijovic have each scored 3 goals for PAOK against PAS Giannina.