PAOK Action – We donate blood, we give life
In the context of PAOK Action, PAOK FC and Thessaloniki Bioclinic organize blood donation on Thursday 11 July, from 09:00 to 13:00.
You don’t have to be a doctor to save lives. Every moment, someone somewhere is need of blood. Five minutes of your time, a bottle than cannot be purchased or sold can make a difference and is worth a life!
PAOK FC call upon all their friends to participate in the annual blood donation held by the “Double-Headed Eagle”, in cooperation with Thessaloniki Bioclinic in the centre of the city (Mitropoleos 86).
Those participating in the blood donation will also enter the lottery draw for a 2019-20 season ticket of PAOK in Gate 5 and many PAOK gifts.
Guidelines for blood donors before and after donation
- All healthy men and women of 18-62 years of age can give blood risk-free 3-4 times per year.
- Each donor donates 450 ml of blood that is replaced almost immediately in their body. Plasma is replaced within 24 hours and red blood cells in 30 days.
- Blood donation is completely harmless and takes between 5 to 10 minutes.
- No medication can replace the blood or plasma that patients need.
Before blood donation:
- Blood donors may give once every three months in order to allow plenty of time to replenish their red blood cells.
- It’s advisable for a donor to be well rested and to have slept at least 6-7 hours before donation
- Before blood donation, the donor must have had a light breakfast. Or they could donate blood at least four hours after a light lunch.
- Donors shouldn’t consume alcohol for 24 hours prior to donations.
After blood donation:
- Blood donors should follow the advice of health personnel at the donation site.
- Relax for a few minutes, enjoy a snack offered and not leave the premises before health personnel allow it.
- Refrain from smoking or driving over the next 1 hour.
- Refrain from vigorous exercise for the rest of the day.
- Drink extra liquids and have a good meal on the day of the donation.
- Avoid alcoholic drinks over the next 24 hours.
- If the needle site starts to bleed, apply pressure and raise the arm straight up until bleeding stops.
- Keep the strip bandage on for the next 2-3 hours.
- For any problems or additional information, donors should refer to the doctor or health personnel on site.
The Blood Donation Unit of Ippokratio Hospital of Thessaloniki will be responsible for the donation.